This is actually a recently known problem, and a fix for it is in the
3.1 version, which should be available any minute now, if it isn't
already available.

The problem has to do with some allocations which are sleeping, and jobs
in the ZFS subsystem get backed behind some other work.

If you have adequate system memory, you are less likely to see this
problem, I think.

         - Garrett