On 7/31/2011 4:29 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:56:38PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
apt-get update
apt-clone upgrade

Any first impressions?
I finally came around installing NexentaCore 3.1 along with
napp-it and AMP on a HP N36L with 8 GBytes RAM. I'm testing
it with 4x 1 and 1.5 TByte consumer SATA drives (Seagate)
with raidz2 and raidz3 and like what I see so far.

Given http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=139315
I've ordered an Intel 311 series for ZIL/L2ARC.

I hope to use above with 4x 3 TByte Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630
given the data from Blackblaze in regards to their reliability.
Suggestion for above layout (8 GByte RAM 4x 3 TByte as raidz2)
I should go with 4 GByte for slog and 16 GByte for L2ARC, right?

Is it possible to attach slog/L2ARC to a pool after the fact?
I'd rather not wear out the small SSD with ~5 TByte avoidable
writes.

Yes. You can attach a ZIL or L2ARC device anytime after the pool is created.

Also, I think you want an Intel 320, NOT the 311, for use as a ZIL. The 320 includes capacitors, so if you lose power, your ZIL doesn't lose data. The 311 DOESN'T include capacitors.

--
Erik Trimble
Java Platform Group Infrastructure