andy thomas <a...@time-domain.co.uk> wrote:

> So it is GNU tar that is broken and not Solaris tar? I always thought it
> was the other way round. Thanks for letting me know.

Before autoumn 2004, Sun tar had several problems with standard compliance  but
then it has been tested against tartest(1) from star.

> > But GNU tar makes strange things when unpacking symlinks.
> >
> > I recommend to use star, it understands GNU tar archives.
>
> I've just installed this (version 1.5a78) from Sunfreeware and am having a
> play.

1.5a78 is a bit old but it should be sufficient for you.

It is recommended to compile recent versions (e.g. from
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily/) as even the latest 1.5.1 is a bit old and
should get an update.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin