Hi Paul,

> 1. Install system to pair of mirrored disks (c0t2d0s0 c0t3d0s0),

> system works fine

I don't remember at this point which disks were which, but I believe it was 0
and 1 because during the first install there were only 2 drives in the box
because I had only 2 drives.

> 2. add two more disks (c0t0d0s0 c0t1d0s0), create zpool tank, test and
> determine these disks are fine

Again, probably was on disks 2 and 3 but in principle, correct.

> 3. copy data to save to rpool (c0t2d0s0 c0t3d0s0)

I did this in a few steps that probably don't make sense because I had only 2
500G drives at the beginning when I did my install. Later I got two 320G and
realized I should have the root pool on the smaller drives. But in the interim,
I installed the new pair of 320G and moved a bunch of data onto that pool.
After the initial installation when update 8 first came out, what happened next
was something like:

1. I created tank mirror on the 2 320G drives and moved data from another
system on to the tank. After I verified it was good I rebooted the box and
checked again and everything was healthy, all pools were imported and mounted
correctly.

2. Then I realized I should install on the 320s and use the 500s for storage so
I copied everything I had just put on the 320s (tank) onto the 500s (root). I
rebooted again and verified the data on root was good, then I deleted it from
tank.

3. I installed a new install on the 320s (formerly tank)

4. I rebooted and it used my old root on the 500s as root, which surprised me
but makes sense now because it was created as rpool during the very first
install.

5. I rebooted in single user mode and tried to import the new install. It
imported fine.

6. I don't know what happened next but I believe after that I rebooted again to
see why Solaris didn't choose the new install, the tank pool could not be
imported and I got the panic shown in the screenshot.

> 3. install OS to c0t0d0s0, c0t1d0s0
> 4. reboot, system still boots from old rpool (c0t2d0s0 c0t3d0s0)

Correct. At some point I read you can change the name of the pool so I imported
rpool as tank and that much worked. At this point both pools were still good,
and now the install was correctly called rpool and my tank was called tank.

> 5. change boot device and boot from new OS (c0t0d0s0 c0t1d0s0)

That was the surprising thing. I had already changed my BIOS to boot from the
new pool, but that didn't stop Solaris from using the old install as the root
pool, I guess because of the name. I thought originally as long as I specified
the correct boot device I wouldn't have any problem, but even taking the old
rpool out of the boot sequence and specifying only the newly installed pool as
boot devices wasn't enough.

> 6. cannot import old rpool (c0t2d0s0 c0t3d0s0) with your data
>
> At this point could you still boot from the old rpool (c0t2d0s0 c0t3d0s0) ?

Yes, I could use the newly installed pool to boot from, or import it from shell
in several versions of Solaris/Sol 11, etc. Of course now I cannot, since I
have installed so many times over that pool trying to get the other pool
imported.

> <something happens> and
>
> 7. cannot import old rpool (c0t2d0s0 c0t3d0s0), any attempt causes a
> kernel panic, even when booted from different OS versions

Right. I have tried OpenIndiana 151 and Solaris 11 Express (latest from Oracle)
several times each as well as 2 new installs of Update 8.

> Have you been using the same hardware for all of this ?

Yes, I have.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Thanks>