On Oct 14, 2011, at 7:02 PM, John D Groenveld wrote:

> As a sanity check, I connected the drive to a Windows 7 installation.
> I was able to partition, create an NTFS volume on it, eject and
> remount it.
>
> I also tried creating the zpool on my Solaris 10 system, exporting
> and trying to import the pool on my Solaris 11X system and again
> no love.
>
> I'm baffled why zpool import is unable to find the pool on the
> drive, but the drive is definitely functional.

One of the best troubleshooting steps for a pool that won't import is
to look at the labels on the disk.
        zdb -l /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0

The output should be the nvlist for each of 4 labels on the device.
zpool import looks at those labels to determine if there is a pool available
for import. If the labels cannot be seen, then you need to solve that problem
before you can import the pool.
 -- richard

--

ZFS and performance consulting