On 11/ 5/11 02:37 PM, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com <mailto:i...@ianshome.com>> wrote:

     I just tried sending from a oi151a system to a Solaris 10 backup
    server and the server barfed with

    zfs_receive: stream is unsupported version 17

    I can't find any documentation linking stream version to release,
    so does anyone know the Update 10 stream version?

The stream version here is actually the zfs send stream version, which is different from the zpool (SPA) and zfs (ZPL) version numbers.

17 is DMU_BACKUP_FEATURE_SA_SPILL (4<<2) + DMU_SUBSTREAM (1). The SA_SPILL feature is enabled when sending a filesystem of version 5 ("System attributes") or later.

So the problem is that you are sending a version 5 zfs filesystem to a system that does not support filesystem version 5.

Thank you Matt.

Are these DMU details documented anywhere? I'm familiar with the SPA and ZPL defines in zfs.h.

Odd coincidence: I was reading your blog when this reply came through!

--
Ian.