On 11/16/11 01:01 PM, Eric D. Mudama wrote:
On Wed, Nov 16 at  3:05, Anatoly wrote:
Good day,

The speed of send/recv is around 30-60 MBytes/s for initial send and
17-25 MBytes/s for incremental. I have seen lots of setups with 1
disk to 100+ disks in pool. But the speed doesn't vary in any degree.
As I understand 'zfs send' is a limiting factor. I did tests by
sending to /dev/null. It worked out too slow and absolutely not
scalable.
None of cpu/memory/disk activity were in peak load, so there is of
room for improvement.
My belief is that initial/incremental may be affecting it because of
initial versus incremental efficiency of the data layout in the pools,
not because of something inherent in the send/recv process itself.

There are various send/recv improvements (e.g. don't use SSH as a
tunnel) but even that shouldn't be capping you at 17MBytes/sec.

My incrementals get me ~35MB/s consistently.  Each incremental is
10-50GB worth of transfer.

While my incremental sizes are much smaller, the rates I see for dense (large blocks of changes, such as media files) incrementals is about the same. I do see much lower rates for more scattered (such as filesystems with documents) changes.

--
Ian.