On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <w...@fajar.net> wrote:

> So basically the question is if you install solaris on one machine,
> can you move the disk (in this case the usb stick) to another machine
> and boot it there, right?

Yes, but one of the machines is a virtual machine.

The answer, as far as I know, is NO, you can't. Of course, I could be
> wrong though (and in this case I'll be happy if I'm wrong :D ). IIRC
> the only supported way to move (or clone) solaris installation is by
> using flash archive (flar), which (now) should also work on zfs.

If we ignore the vbox aspect of it, and assume real hardware with real
devices, of course you can install on one x86 hardware and move the drive
to boot on another x86 hardware.  This is harder on SPARC (b/c hostid and
zfs mount issues) but still possible.

The weird thing here is that the install hardware is a virtual machine.
One thing I know is odd is that the USB drive is seen to the virtual
machine as a SATA drive but when moved to the real hardware it's seen as a
USB drive.  There may be something else going on here that someone more
familiar with vbox may know more about.

Since this works seamlessly when the zpool in question is just a data pool,
I'm wondering why it doesn't work when it's a boot drive.

One thing I noticed is that when mounting it as a data drive, the real
hardware sees the type of disk (between <...> in 'format' output) as
ATA-VBOX.  Clearly that info must have been written when the pool was
created on vbox, and maybe some hardware info was encoded that doesn't
match up when it's booted as a real USB stick.  This doesn't to matter when
it's a data pool but maybe this is tripping it up during boot.