From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Karl Rossing
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 12:57 PM
To: ZFS filesystem discussion list
Subject: [zfs-discuss] SAS HBA's with No Raid

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting LSI 9212-4i4e(4 internal and 4 external ports)
to replace a SUN Storagetek raid card.

The StorageTek raid card seems to want to have it's drives initialized
and volumes created on it before they are presented to zfs. I can't find
a way of telling it just to be an HBA.

I'd prefer to have the ability to move the sas/sata drives to another
system and has the sas/sata controller read the drives without if there
a problem with the card.

Is it possible to disable the raid on an LSI 9212-4i4e and have the
drives read by a simple sas/sata card? I'm open to other brands but I
need internal and external ports.

Thanks
Karl

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This communication (including all attachments) is
confidential and is intended for the use of the named addressee(s) only and
may contain information that is private, confidential, privileged, and
exempt from disclosure under law.  All rights to privilege are expressly
claimed and reserved and are not waived.  Any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying or disclosure of this message and any attachments, in
whole or in part, by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately, delete this communication from all data storage
devices and destroy all hard copies.