On 12/18/11 11:52, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 04:39:07PM -0700, Cindy Swearingen wrote:
Hi Anon,

The disk that you attach to the root pool will need an SMI label
and a slice 0.

The syntax to attach a disk to create a mirrored root pool
is like this, for example:

# zpool attach rpool c1t0d0s0 c1t1d0s0

BTW. Can you, Cindy, or someone else reveal why one cannot boot from
RAIDZ on Solaris? Is this because Solaris is using GRUB and RAIDZ code
would have to be licensed under GPL as the rest of the boot code?

I'm asking, because I see no technical problems with this functionality.
Booting off of RAIDZ (even RAIDZ3) and also from multi-top-level-vdev
pools works just fine on FreeBSD for a long time now. Not being forced
to have dedicated pool just for the root if you happen to have more than
two disks in you box is very convenient.

For those of us not familiar with how FreeBSD is installed and boots can you explain how boot works (ie do you use GRUB at all and if so which version and where the early boot ZFS code is).

--
Darren J Moffat