On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Matthew R. Wilson
<mwil...@mattwilson.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am curious to know if there is an easy way to guess or identify the device
> names of disks. Previously the /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 system made sense to me...
> I had a SATA controller card with 8 ports, and they showed up with the
> numbers 1-8 in the "t" position of the device name.
>
> But I just built a new system with two LSI SAS HBAs in it, and my device
> names are along the lines of:
> /dev/dsk/c0t5000CCA228C0E488d0
>
> I could not find any correlation between that identifier and the a)
> controller the disk was plugged in to, or b) the port number on the
> controller. The only way I could make a mapping of device name to controller
> port was to add one drive at a time, reboot the system, and run "format" to
> see which new disk name shows up.
>
> I'm guessing there's a better way, but I can't find any obvious answer as to
> how to determine which port on my LSI controller card will correspond with
> which seemingly random device name. Can anyone offer any suggestions on a
> way to predict the device naming, or at least get the system to list the
> disks after I insert one without rebooting?

Depending on the hardware you are using, you may be able to benefit
from croinfo.

$ croinfo
D:devchassis-path                  t:occupant-type  c:occupant-compdev
/dev/chassis//SYS/SASBP/HDD0/disk  disk             c0t5000CCA012B66E90d0
/dev/chassis//SYS/SASBP/HDD1/disk  disk             c0t5000CCA012B68AC8d0

The text in the left column represents text that should be printed on
the corresponding disk slots.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/