On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:59:04PM -0800, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandol...@esri.com> wrote:
> > Is there a non-disruptive way to undeduplicate everything and expunge
> > the DDT?
>
> AFAIK, no
>
> >  zfs send/recv and then back perhaps (we have the extra
> > space)?
>
> That should work, but it's disruptive :D
>
> Others might provide better answer though.

Well, slightly _less_ disruptive perhaps.  We can zfs send to another
file system on the same system, but different set of disks.  We then
disable NFS shares on the original, do a final zfs send to sync, then
share out the "new" undeduplicated file system with the same name.
Hopefully the window here is short enough that NFS clients are able to
recover gracefully.

We'd then wipe out the "old" zpool, recreate and do the reverse to get
data back onto it......

Thanks,
Ray