Inspired by the paper "End-to-end Data Integrity for File Systems: A
ZFS Case Study" [1], I've been thinking if it is possible to devise a way,
in which a minimal in-memory data corruption would cause massive data
loss. I could imagine a scenario where an entire directory branch
drops off the tree structure, for example. Since I know too little
about ZFS's structure, I'm also asking myself if it is possible to
make old snapshots disappear via memory corruption or lose data blocks
to leakage (not containing data, but not marked as available).

I'd appreciate it if someone with a good understanding of ZFS's
internals and principles could comment on the possibility of such
scenarios.

[1] http://www.usenix.org/event/fast10/tech/full_papers/zhang.pdf