zfs-dev wrote:
You might want to try a reboot of the system. There is some low level caching of the encryption key in the kernel. I noticed that you can remove the key and continue to mount and umount it without a key so long as you do not reboot. Maybe this will clear it up. I never recommend "just reboot" however, in this case it may actually work.

Thanks but this doesn't help. This is not a "production" server,
but a home based one that is powered down several times per week.
The system went through many reboots both before and after the
problems started.

--
Roberto Waltman