Hello all,

I was asked if it is possible to convert a ZFS pool created
explicitly with ashift=12 (via the tweaked binary) and filled
with data back into ashift=9 so as to use the slack space
from small blocks (BP's, file tails, etc.)

The user's HDD marketing text says that it "efficiently"
emulates 512b sectors while using 4Kb ones natively (that's
why ashift=12 was enforced in the first place).

Questions are:
1) How bad would a performance hit be with 512b blocks used
   on a 4kb drive with such "efficient emulation"? Is it
   possible to model/emulate the situation somehow in advance
   to see if it's worth that change at all?

2) Is it possible to easily estimate the amount of "wasted"
   disk space in slack areas of the currently active ZFS
   allocation (unused portions of 4kb blocks that might
   become available if the disks were reused with ashift=9)?

3) How many parts of ZFS pool are actually affected by the
   ashift setting?

   From what I gather, it is applied at the top-level vdev
   level (I read that one can mix ashift=9 and ashift=12
   TLVDEVs in one pool spanning several TLVDEVs). Is that
   a correct impression?

   If yes, how does ashift size influence the amount of
   slots in uberblock ring (128 vs. 32 entries) which is
   applied at the leaf vdev level (right?) but should be
   consistent across the pool?

   As far as I see in ZFS on-disk format, all sizes and
   offsets are in either bytes or 512b blocks, and the
   ashift'ed block size is not actually used anywhere
   except to set the minimal block size and its implicit
   alignment during writes.

   Is it wrong to think that it's enough to forge an
   uberblock with ashift=9 and a matching self-checksum
   and place that into the pool (leaf vdev labels), and
   magically have all old data 4kb-aligned still available,
   while new writes would be 512b-aligned?

Thanks for helping me grasp the theory,
//Jim