On 5/23/12 11:28 PM, Richard Elling wrote:
The man page is clear on this topic, IMHO

Indeed, even in snv_117 the zpool man page says that. But the
console/dmesg message was also quite clear, so go figure whom
to trust (or fear) more ;)

The FMA message is consistent with the man page.

The man page seems to not mention the critical part of the FMA msg that OP is worried about. OP said that his motivation for clearing the errors and fearing the degraded state was because he feared this:

>> AUTO-RESPONSE: The device has been marked as degraded.  An attempt
>> will be made to activate a hot spare if available.

he doesn't want his dd'd new device kicked out of the vdev and replaced by a hot spare (if avaialable) due to the number of errors and the scarlet letter of "degraded" at the device level - I don't think he cares about the pool level degraded status since it doesn't "do" anything.

fmd: [ID 377184 daemon.error] SUNW-MSG-ID: ZFS-8000-GH, TYPE: Fault, VER: 1,
SEVERITY: Major
EVENT-TIME: Wed May 16 03:27:31 MSK 2012
PLATFORM: Sun Fire X4500, CSN: 0804AMT023            , HOSTNAME: thumper
SOURCE: zfs-diagnosis, REV: 1.0
EVENT-ID: cc25a316-4018-4f13-c675-d1d84c6325c3
DESC: The number of checksum errors associated with a ZFS device
exceeded acceptable levels.  Refer to http://sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-GH for more
information.
AUTO-RESPONSE: The device has been marked as degraded.  An attempt
will be made to activate a hot spare if available.
IMPACT: Fault tolerance of the pool may be compromised.
REC-ACTION: Run 'zpool status -x' and replace the bad device.