On 06/15/2012 02:14 PM, Hans J Albertsson wrote:
> I've got my root pool on a mirror on 2 512 byte blocksize disks.
> I want to move the root pool to two 2 TB disks with 4k blocks.
> The server only has room for two disks. I do have an esata connector, though,
> and a suitable external cabinet for connecting one extra disk.
>
> How would I go about migrating/expanding the root pool to the larger disks so
> I can then use the larger disks for booting?
>
> I have no extra machine to use.

Suppose we call the disks like so:

  A, B: your old 512-block drives
  X, Y: your new 2TB drives

The easiest way would be to simply:

1) zpool set autoexpand=on rpool
2) offline the A drive
3) physically replace it with the X drive
4) do a "zpool replace" on it and wait for it to resilver
5) offline the B drive
6) physically replace it with the Y drive
7) do a "zpool replace" on it and wait for it to resilver

At this point, you should have a 2TB rpool (thanks to the
"autoexpand=on" in step 1). Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is no
way to convert a bshift=9 pool (512 byte sectors) to a bshift=13 pool
(4k sectors). Perhaps some great ZFS guru can shed more light on this.

--
Saso