On 07/11/2012 03:57 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> Since there is a finite number of bit patterns per block, have you tried to
> just calculate the SHA-256 or SHA-512 for every possible bit pattern to see
> if there is ever a collision?  If you found an algorithm that produced no
> collisions for any possible block bit pattern, wouldn't that be the win?

Don't think that, if you can think of this procedure, that the crypto
security guys at universities haven't though about it as well? Of course
they have. No, simply generating a sequence of random patterns and
hoping to hit a match won't do the trick.

P.S. I really don't mean to sound smug or anything, but I know one thing
for sure: the crypto researchers who propose these algorithms are some
of the brightest minds on this topic on the planet, so I would hardly
think they didn't consider trivial problems.

Cheers,
--
Saso