From: Bob Friesenhahn [mailto:bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:13 PM
To: matth...@flash.shanje.com
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] IO load questions

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012, matth...@flash.shanje.com wrote:

> ~50,000 IOPS 4k random read.  200MB/sec, 30% CPU utilization on
> Nexenta, ~90% utilization on guest OS.  I?m guessing guest OS is
> bottlenecking.  Going to try physical hardware next week
> ~25,000 IOPS 4k random write.  100MB/sec, ~70% CPU utilization on
> Nexenta, ~45% CPU utilization on guest OS.  Feels like Nexenta CPU is
> bottleneck. Load average of 2.5
>
> A quick test with 128k recordsizes and 128k IO looked to be 400MB/sec
> performance, can?t remember CPU utilization on either side. Will
> retest and report those numbers.
>
> It feels like something is adding more overhead here than I would
> expect on the 4k recordsizes/IO workloads.  Any thoughts where I should
start on this?
> I?d really like to see closer to 10Gbit performance here, but it seems
> like the hardware isn?t able to cope with it?

All systems have a bottleneck.  You are highly unlikely to get close to
10Gbit performance with 4k random synchronous write.  25K IOPS seems pretty
good to me.

The 2.4GHz clock rate of the 4-core Xeon CPU you are using is not terribly
high.  Performance is likely better with a higher-clocked more modern design
with more cores.

Verify that the zfs checksum algorithm you are using is a low-cost one and
that you have not enabled compression or deduplication.

You did not tell us how your zfs pool is organized so it is impossible to
comment more.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn