> has only one drive. If ZFS detects something bad it might kernel panic and
> lose the whole system right?
What do you mean by "lose the whole system"? A panic is not a bad thing, and
also does not imply that the machine will not reboot successfully. It certainly
doesn't guarantee your OS will be trashed.

> I realize UFS /might/ be ignorant of any corruption but it might be more
> usable and go happily on it's way without noticing?

UFS has a mount option "onerror" which defines what the OS will do if there is
a problem detected with a given filesystem. I think the default is "panic"
anyway. Check mount_ufs manpage for details.

Your answer is to take regular backups, rather than bury your head in the sand.

cheers,
--justin