On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Jim Klimov <jimkli...@cos.ru> wrote:
> 2012-10-03 14:40, Ray Arachelian пишет:
>
>> On 10/03/2012 05:54 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>>    It was often asked and discussed on the list about "how to
>>> change rpool HDDs from AHCI to IDE mode" and back, with the
>>> modern routine involving reconfiguration of the BIOS, bootup
>>> from separate live media, simple import and export of the
>>> rpool, and bootup from the rpool.

IIRC when working with xen I had to boot with live cd, import the
pool, then poweroff (without exporting the pool). Then it can boot.
Somewhat inline with what you described.

>> The documented way is to
>>> reinstall the OS upon HW changes. Both are inconvenient to
>>> say the least.
>>

>> Any chance to touch /reconfigure, power off, then change the BIOS
>> settings and reboot, like in the old days?   Or maybe with passing -r
>> and optionally -s and -v from grub like the old way we used to
>> reconfigure Solaris?
>

> Tried that, does not help. Adding forceloads to /etc/system
> and remaking the boot archive - also no.

On Ubuntu + zfsonlinux + root/boot on zfs, the boot script helper is
"smart" enough to try all available device nodes, so it wouldn't
matter if the dev path/id/name changed. But ONLY if there's no
zpool.cache in the initramfs.

Not sure how easy it would be to port that functionality to solaris.

--
Fajar