On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Jan Owoc <jso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Trond Michelsen <tron...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I try to replace the old drive, I get this error:
>>
>> # zpool replace tank c4t5000C5002AA2F8D6d0 c4t5000C5004DE863F2d0
>> cannot replace c4t5000C5002AA2F8D6d0 with c4t5000C5004DE863F2d0:
>> devices have different sector alignment
>>

>> How can I replace the drive without migrating all the data to a
>> different pool? It is possible, I hope?
>
> I had the same problem. I tried copying the partition layout and some
> other stuff but without success. I ended up having to recreate the
> pool and now have a non-mirrored root fs.
>
> If anyone has figured out how to mirror drives after getting the
> message about sector alignment, please let the list know :-).

Sorry... my question was partly answered by Jim Klimov on this list:
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2012-June/008546.html

Apparently the currently-suggested way (at least in OpenIndiana) is to:
1) create a zpool on the 4k-native drive
2) zfs send | zfs receive the data
3) mirror back onto the non-4k drive

I can't test it at the moment on my setup - has anyone tested this to work?

Jan