On 2012-11-14 12:55, dswa...@druber.com wrote:

>> On 11/14/12
15:20, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:

>>> Well, I think I give up for
now. I spent quite a few hours over the last couple of days trying to
get gnome desktop working on bare-metal OI, followed by virtualbox.
Supposedly that works in headless mode with RDP for management, but
nothing but fail for me. Found quite a few posts on various forums of
people complaining that RDP with external auth doesn't work (or not
reliably), and that was my experience. The final straw was when I
rebooted the OI server as part of cleaning things up, and... It hung.
Last line in verbose boot log is 'ucode0 is /pseudo/ucode@0'. I
power-cycled it to no avail. Even tried a backup BE from hours earlier,
to no avail. Likely whatever was bunged happened prior to that. If I
could get something that ran like xen or kvm reliably for a headless
setup, I'd be willing to give it a try, but for now, no...
>> SmartOS.

Interesting, I may take a play with this...

That _does
_look interesting. All I need is some time to try it out. Looks perfect
for me to consolidate my home servers.

Links:
------
[1]