On 2012-12-14 17:03, Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris) wrote:
Suspicion and conjecture only:  I think format uses a fdisk label, which has a
2T limit.

Technically, "fdisk" is a program and labels (partitioning tables)
are MBR and EFI/GPT :)

And "fdisk" at least in OpenIndiana can explicitly label a disk as
EFI, similarly to what ZFS does when given the whole disk to a pool.

You might also have luck with GNU parted, though I've had older
builds (i.e. in SXCE) crash on 3Tb disks too, including one that's
labeled as EFI and used in a pool on the same SXCE. There were no
such problems with newer build of parted as in OI, so that disk was
in fact labeled for SXCE while the box was booted with OI LiveCD.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov