Balcal,

(Jaap, please correct this if I'm off base).

When you manually delete the notes folder, the Zim cache (in .zim
directory where your wiki was stored and/or the $Home/.cache/zim
directory would not have been updated.  So when you started Zim back
up, Zim would not have reflected the deletion.

Try deleting the contents of the .zim directory and/or the contents of
the $HOME/.cache/zim directory and restart.

After that, I'd suggest that, in general, you add/delete pages within
Zim so that it can update the cache on-the-fly to reflect to mods.

- Kurt