(This may appear as a top-level message rather than as a response, due to email
client and launchpad problems.)
Don't know much about DLLs specifically, so let me ask a potentially dumb
question. When does it try to load a DLL? Could it be that the difference seen
is because one program tries to load libraries and the other doesn't get that
far? I ask because, at least with the old C and Unix dynamic libraries, it
would be quite easy to compile your program with no errors and yet have it fail
to actually run.
Other things:Is there an easy way to tell where it's looking for libraries,
and/or where it found them?In particular, could there be a 32- vs 64-bit
problem?An example in wikipedia (in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library#Python) suggests you can
directly try to load a DLL:
import ctypes
my_dll = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary("Example.dll")
Looking at the Python docs, seems like ctypes.util.find_library(name) will
return the path for the library. Also, perhaps ctypes.OleDL and ctypes.WinDLL
will be useful. Maybe they have better error handling. (I think you'd use these
instead of ctypes.cdll.)