Dan R Allen wrote:

> Marc:
> But most of the money for terrorist activities comes from Saudi Arabia. Not
> from
> the government perhaps (although some does through Ikhwan and similar
> "fraternal"
> and "charitable" organizations, and through direct funding of the PLO's
> government bureaucracy) so I don't see your point. Saudi Arabia also pays
> money
> to survivors of "martyrs". Also, you can't prove a negative. The world's
> largest
> producer of WMD is right where you live, Dan. Ever been to Tooele?
>
> Dan:
> And that is what I was saying; the money for the suicide bombers is not
> coming directly from the Saudi government. I never intended to imply that
> the Saudis were not supporting the terrorists, so I'm sorry if you got that
> impression. Also, the direct funding is going through the PLO which even is
> recognized, even by the US, as the official "government" of the
> Palestinians.

It is recognized as the official government of the Palestinians ever since the
Camp David accord, iirc, but while this is just a nit, I believe you'll find that
the Ikhwan channels far more money to terrorist operations such as the mudrassahs
set up in Peshawar by the Taliban who preach that jihad means violence (it
doesn't -- it's general sense is exactly the same as our word 'crusade' -- one
can go on a "crusade against crime", for instance, although jihad has
traditionally, in Sunni Islam, meant the kind of struggle that we all must
undergo in order to purify ourselves in order to make ourselves fit to be in
God's presence after death. The Taliban have given the term a bad name).

> My point was that Saddam is _also_ paying the families of the suicide
> bombers, and he is doing it directly through his government.
> Yes I have been to Tooele, several times in fact. What does that have to do
> with attempting to prove a negative?

It doesn't. We were on to a different subject by then. I asked if you knew who
the largest producer of WMD is. If you've been to Tooele you'll know the answer.
(I've visited an Edmonton company which provides the electronic security for the
storage site there, just by coincidence).

--
Marc A. Schindler

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti