Paul Osborne wrote:

> >Why not bomb Pakistan? They already have the bomb, and they have a
> strong Islamic
> >fundamentalist tradition, whereas Iraq's is more secular.
>
> I wasn't aware that the Pak government was hostile to the USA. I hardly

They're the ones who trained the Taliban, they're a military dictatorship, and
they're on the verge, within about 5 years or so, of becoming the first Islamic
fundamentalist country with the nuclear bomb, and they've regularly invaded their
neighbour, a democracy (India). Now, which of these aspects matches US values?

> watch the news because it upsets me so I'm pretty careful not to say too
> much when expressing my thoughts and opinions on political affairs. Last
> I checked the Pak government was cooperating with the USA. Besides, if
> the Paks make trouble with the USA the Indians will be right there to nip
> it in the bud.

But you never supported India, a democracy, during the Cold War. What makes you
think you can depend on India to do your bidding? They're one billion people.
Also with the bomb.

> And, I suspect that once the USA goes in and takes over Iraq we will find
> that the people will be glad.

And I suspect they see themselves as helpless pawns between a rock and a hard
place.

> Suddenly their markets will expand and they
> can begin to share the wealth of a world market.

You mean like the 300 million barrels of crude oil they sold to the US in 2001?
(they're your 6th largest source of crude imports)

> More importantly I
> suspect also the church will begin to make inroads into old Babylon.

The Crusaders already tried that approach: the Bible on the point of a sword.
What makes you think the Book of Mormon on the muzzle of a tank will work any
better?

--
Marc A. Schindler

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti