After careful consideration, Scott McGee wrote:
>Let me ask you a questions. I accept that our government is sufficiently
>controlled by gadiantons that I have no real voice it. I see no way to
>elect a truly worthy candidate now.

I don't either.  The time for that is past.

>My question, then, is what is the answer? As far as I can see, there is
>no way to run the gadiantons out of control short of causing a majority
>of the people to repent and seek for rightiousnes. That is what the
>people of the Book of Mormon had to do.

What is the answer?  I don't think there is a solution except to let the
disease run its course.  We could have kept it from starting.  Perhaps we
could have killed it while it was young and tender.  But now that it has
gained strength, this evil is unassailable through the electoral
process.  Does this mean that we should despair.  No, there are other
things we can do.  Men all over the world have lived under totalitarianism
throughout history, and we can do it too.  But I think that the things we
can do are local and in our families.

Can we have an effect on our local city council or on the school board?  Of
course we can.  And when we work within our families to educate a new
generation, we are doing much to keep the spark of freedom alive until
conditions are different.  This spark is passed down in families.

You see, we really don't have to do anything.  The Lord has explained that
these Gadianton murderers are going to fight among themselves until their
house of cards is destroyed.  Consider these words from the Book of Mormon:

---
13  And the blood of that great and abominable church, which is the whore
of all the earth, shall turn upon their own heads; for they shall war among
themselves, and the sword of their own hands shall fall upon their own
heads, and they shall be drunken with their own blood.

14  And every nation which shall war against thee, O house of Israel, shall
be turned one against another, and they shall fall into the pit which they
digged to ensnare the people of the Lord.  And all that fight against Zion
shall be destroyed, and that great whore, who hath perverted the right ways
of the Lord, yea, that great and abominable church, shall tumble to the
dust and great shall be the fall of it.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 22:13 - 14)

[...]

16  For the time soon cometh that the fulness of the wrath of God shall be
poured out upon all the children of men; for he will not suffer that the
wicked shall destroy the righteous.

17  Wherefore, he will preserve the righteous by his power, even if it so
be that the fulness of his wrath must come, and the righteous be preserved,
even unto the destruction of their enemies by fire.  Wherefore, the
righteous need not fear; for thus saith the prophet, they shall be saved,
even if it so be as by fire.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 22:16 - 17)

So you see, here in the last days we don't have to overthrow the Gadianton
Robbers.  They are going to do it themselves.  Our job is to protect our
families and communities as be we can.  And that can be accomplished most
effectively if we understand who these Gadianton's are and what their evil
plans for us are.

How many Church members actually have a years supply of food?  Half?  A
third?  Even less?  All be if you were to do a study you would learn that
the so-called conspiracy theorists are a lot more likely to have a years
supply of food that the average active member.  They vote differently too,
so they will not have nearly as much to answer for when they stand before
the Judge.

>I suspect that even if we could do that, we would still have to "wage
>war" with these gadiantons just as the Book of Mormon peoples had to,
>once they are driven from control of the government, as they will
>certainly try to regain control by whatever means at their disposal.

I don't think it is going to be with us the same as it was with the ancient
Nephites.  We do not have to root the cancer out by overthrowing our
government.  It is too late for that.  Besides, they are going to do it for
us by fighting among themselves.  In the meantime, there is much that each
of us can do by way of protecting our families and our local communities
against their evil influence.  This great secret combination is powerful,
but it is not omnipotent.  And the Lord is.  They can't be everywhere at
once, but the Lord's influence can.  If you or I were to work to clean up
the corruption in the local city government, and work within the school
board to provide a better education for our children, the Gadianton Robbers
aren't going to be able to stop us.  They will be far too busy fighting an
unjust war in Iraq or somewhere else.

>So, once again, what do you guys see as the answer? I will accept both
>short and long term type answers so give either or both if you prefer.

The answer as I see it is to repent, awake, and prepare.  Saints all over
the world are ruled by various Gadianton Robber bands.  Totalitarianism is
the rule, not the exception.  And if we in the USA fall under the evil fist
of totalitarianism, we are just joining them in their misery.  But there is
much we can do for our families and our local communities.  We will see
what needs to be done much more clearly if we know what is going on.

John W. Redelfs                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"There is no conspiracy theory in the Book of  Mormon
  --it is a conspiracy fact. (Ezra Taft Benson, April 1972)