Please don't let it bother you too much, John. I call it intellectual
arm-wrestling. Stephen and I may disagree and may even get under each other's
collar sometimes, but we've broken bread together (literally; I was so cheap that
I treated him to lunch at the cheapest joint in Redmond...) so are brothers. I
decided when I re-subbed that I wasn't going to unsub again (well, unless it were
for something obvious like health reasons or my computer blew up or something).
I'd learn how to converse civilly. Am not there yet, but I'm working on it, so I
actually appreciate foils like Stephen and Steven, even while I tear my hair out
over their primitive, ignerent,..... :-)

"John W. Redelfs" wrote:

> I just hate it when Marc Schindler and Stephen Beecroft get too intense
> with each other.  I usually ends in one or the other taking a lengthy leave
> of absence from the list.  And of course, since their contributions are
> among the chief reasons this is such a good list, I really hate to see it.
>
> Both Marc and Stephen are debating in such fine style that I am undecided
> whose side to take.  I am an American, not a Canadian, so on that basis
> perhaps I should move in Stephen's direction.  On the other hand, I have
> been totally disgusted for the last 40 years by the way this once great
> nation deports itself on the international stage, so maybe I should move in
> Marc's direction.  Then again I am a foaming-at-the-mouth anti-communist,
> so perhaps I should move towards Stephen.  I'm starting to get dizzy.

If it helps, it's only an accident of history that America got divided up into so
many countries, the main one of which is the United States of America, and the
prettier, cleaner and safer northern fringe ended up being Canada. That's how I
look at it. Canada is just as bound by the covenant in Ether as you guys are.
So's Cuba. So are Brazil and Montserrat, Chile and Texas (oh, wait, that was
taken over by the northern Yanquis in this parallel universe. All this slider
activity confuses me). And we'd be the strutting policeman on the spherical block
if we had your power. To act assyrianistically (whoo -- bet that's not in
Oxford's!) is in the nature of the natural man.

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”