I think the answer to that is self-explanatory. To quote a non-GA, listen to the
sounds of silence. (Marlin K. Jensen gives a hint in his interview,
incidentally). And just so I'm not totally opaque here, I'm not talking about
your specific claim that Castro was a Communist. I don't know why this is so
difficult to get across, but I have never, from the very beginning of the thread,
argued that Castro is not a Communist. I don't think it's proven that he started
as a Communist, but I don't think it matters, either. That is not the question I
raised. You keep answering a question I'm not asking. What I am talking about is
this exact blindered approach of the ideologue -- as per the dictionary
definition I've posted. It's a dangerous approach and can lead to cultism.
Ironically, in the political arena it can also lead to results that are
diametrically opposite to what is intended.

Steven Montgomery wrote:

> At 07:36 PM 10/21/2002, you wrote:
> >At 06:57 PM 10/21/2002, Marc wrote:
> >
> >>But I'm not the one quoting general authorities in an attempt to back up my
> >>political and historical opinions. You are. Logically speaking, you are, in
> >>effect, challenging me to criticize Pres. Benson. I'm not going to fall
> >>into that
> >>trap. (I take it that in your response you are the "messenger" and Pres.
> >>Benson
> >>the "sources"?)
> >>

> >>--
> >>Marc A. Schindler
> >
> >ETB knew about Castro's communist connections because both the U.S.
> >Ambassadors to Cuba and Mexico warned him about the connections.  Okay,
> >forget about the Benson quote. Forget I mentioned it. Perhaps it was a
> >lapse of judgement on my part.
> >
> >What about the other evidence that Castro was a communist?
> >

> >--
> >Steven Montgomery
>
> On second thought, why should I apologize for quoting ETB? After all, this
> is an LDS religious list, is it not? In your postings with the Subject
> line, "Cult of Personality," you've made great noise about the fact that
> sometimes even General Authorities can disagree on political matters. Fine,
> I accept that, and believe it. Trouble is, where is the General Authority
> who disagrees with ETB regarding this particular issue, that of Fidel
> Castro being a communist? I haven't been able to find one. Perhaps there is
> a general consensus then?
>
> --
> Steven Montgomery
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> "Nations are defined by their founders. George Washington set a standard of
> selfless public service and heroic private virtue against which American
> politicians continue to be measured - and found wanting - even today."
> --Steven W. Mosher

Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”