I owe you a bit of an apology, I think. I went to the link this time -- I have to
admit I was not aware there was a theory that the plane didn't actually crash. I
merely assumed you were repeating a story I've heard often, that the plane was
deliberately targeted because McDonald was on board (which to me sounded like
saying that the Canadians were targeted by the Illinois Air National Guard
because one of them was LDS).

But now that there's an LDS presence there (including, as it happens, a branch
right in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
[http://www.gatheringofisrael.com/atlas/europe/russia/RUS_vladivostok.gif],
perhaps we could ask the branch president to look into it :-)

FWIW, just to repeat the "straight line" about this, or conventional story, or
whatever you want to call it, the plane crashed in very deep waters of the
Pacific (a large gulf, actually, iirc, called the Sea of Okhotsk, which the US
considers to be high seas, but which the Soviet Union then and Russia now
considers to be national waters, and SAR was called out the same reason they were
when Canadian SAR was called out for the Swissair flight that crashed off Peggy's
Cove, NS: to recover any human remains that floated to the surface. This is SOP,
and the so-called "rescue transcript" on the website needs to be read with this
in mind (I happen to have good 1st hand evidence of this: my cousin's husband is
a Canadian air command captain and was, until recently, a SARTech based in
Gander, NL -- he's now in Moose Jaw SK training to fly Hercs. Among other reasons
for the change was a growing distaste for recovery operations)

AFAI am concerned, the site's purpose is to sell a book. But when I get to the
other side I'll look for any KAL 007 vets. Who knows.

Steven Montgomery wrote:

> At 12:01 AM 10/22/2002, Marc wrote:
>
> >Was he LDS? (just curious; I know the incident you're talking about. I
> >also know
> >there's absolutely no proof that he was "taken out" -- that's an old canard,
> >although I'm not surprised it's still quacking in certain circles).
>
> To my knowledge Larry P. McDonald was not LDS. I actually agree with you
> that there is no proof that the Soviets targeted McDonald specifically but
> there is quite a bit of evidence that the plane did not crash and kill
> everyone.
>
> http://www.rescue007.org/
>
> Btw, this particular site is run by Bert Schlossberg, an Israeli who has no
> connection with the John Birch Society.
>
> --
> Steven Montgomery
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> "Nations are defined by their founders. George Washington set a standard of
> selfless public service and heroic private virtue against which American
> politicians continue to be measured - and found wanting - even today."
> --Steven W. Mosher

Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”