And I'll bet Putin's awfully glad he wrested a grudging okay out of George Bush to
consider the Chechens terrorists after what happened in the Moscow theatre house the
past few days (5 Canadians were amongst the hostages). It looks like al-Qaeda's been
scattered, but like the metal bits in the bad guy's cyborg body in one of the
Terminator movies, each bit is as dangerous as the whole, and one of the bits seems to
be in Chechnya. Latest news is that most of the "Chechens" are actually so-called
"Afghan Arabs," a term for people from all over the Arab world attracted to al-Qaeda's
various causes. The largest source of Afghan Arabs, iirc, is Saudi Arabia, Pakistan
and Algeria. Maybe Egypt's up there, too, I can't remember.  According to a book I'm
reading now, the real Afghans who fought against the Soviets considered the "Afghan
arabs" as little more than pains in the butt who kept getting in the way and would
rather preach religion than lift a rifle and jump up out of a trench when
bullets were flying. They're very much resented by Pushtun Afghans (let alone Uzbek
and Tajik Afghans).

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the worst
thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly debated…To
think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a coward; any
idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly character; ability to
understand a question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action.”
– Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by Thucydides in “The
Peloponessian Wars”

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor those of
any organization with which the author may be associated.