At 04:11 PM 11/11/2002, Marc wrote:

Here in Utah in part I think it's related to the fact that the Democratic
Party has in the last 20 years waned to the point where it really is almost not a
factor in our political life right now. And I think there is a feeling that that
is not healthy at all -- that as a state we suffer in different ways. But
certainly any time you don't have the dialogue and the give-and-take that the
democratic process provides, you're going to be poorer for it in the long run.
Political parties come and go. Shortly after the U.S. was founded there were the Whigs and the Federalists. So now we have Republicans and Democrats--so what? The main point Elder Jensen was making imo is the "dialogue." If the Democratic party goes by the wayside there will always be another party willing to step in and take its place.

We are locally and I think there is a feeling that even nationally as a
church, it's not in our best interest to be known as a one-party church. The
national fortunes of the parties ebb and flow. Whereas the Republicans may clearly
have the upper hand today in another 10 years they may not. So there are just so
many reasons I think to have a <Picture>robust multi-party system<Picture> going
locally and nationally for us, as well as the international responsibilities we
feel -- that's at the heart of this as well.''
Note here he states, "multi-party system," not necessarily the elitist two party system we have now. The point is the Democratic Party is losing because they've lost touch with the common voter. I don't like a one-party dominance either--let all parties participate and give them equal chances, but don't worship before the altar of Democratic Party politics.

--
Steven Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nations are defined by their founders. George Washington set a standard of
selfless public service and heroic private virtue against which American
politicians continue to be measured - and found wanting - even today." --Steven W. Mosher
/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///