Now a few words to the brethren and sisters upon the doctrine and
ordinances of the house of God. All who have lived on the earth
according to the best light they had, and would have received the
fulness of the Gospel had it been preached to them, are worthy of a
glorious resurrection, and will attain to this by being administered
for, in the flesh, by those who have the authority. All others will have
a resurrection, and receive a glory, except those who have sinned
against the Holy Ghost. It is supposed by this people that we have all
the ordinances in our possession for life and salvation, and exaltation,
and that we are administering in these ordinances. This is not the case.
We are in possession of all the ordinances that can be administered in
the flesh; but there are other ordinances and administrations that must
be administered beyond this world. I know you would ask what they are. I
will mention one. We have not, neither can we receive here, the
ordinance and the keys of the resurrection. They will be given to those
who have passed off this stage of action and have received their bodies
again, as many have already done and many more will. They will be
ordained, by those who hold the keys of the resurrection, to go forth
and resurrect the Saints, just as we receive the ordinance of baptism,
then the keys of authority to baptize others for the remission of their
sins. This is one of the ordinances we cannot receive here, and there
are many more. We hold the authority to dispose of, alter and change the
elements; but we have not received authority to organize native element,
to even make a spear of grass grow.

We have no such ordinance here. We organize according to men in the
flesh. By combining the elements and planting the seed, we cause
vegetables, trees, grains, etc., to come forth. We are organizing a
Kingdom here according to the pattern that the Lord has given for people
in the flesh, but not for those who have received the resurrection,
although it is a similitude. Another item: We have not the power in the
flesh to create and bring forth or produce a spirit; but we have the
power to produce a temporal body; the germ of this, God has placed
within us. And when our spirits receive our bodies, and through our
faithfulness we are worthy to be crowned, we will then receive authority
to produce both spirit and body. But these keys we cannot receive in the
flesh. Herein, brethren, you can perceive that we have not finished, and
cannot finish our work, while we live here, no more than Jesus did while
he was in the flesh.

We cannot receive, while in the flesh, the keys to form and fashion
kingdoms and to organize matter, for they are beyond our capacity and
calling, beyond this world. In the resurrection, men who have been
faithful and diligent in all things in the flesh, have kept their first
and second estate, and are worthy to be crowned Gods, even the Sons of
God, will be ordained to organize matter. How much matter do you suppose
there is between here and some of the fixed stars which we can see?
Enough to frame many, very many millions of such earths as this, yet it
is now so diffused, clear and pure, that we look through it and behold
the stars. Yet the matter is there. Can you form any conception of this?
Can you form any idea of the minuteness of matter? 15:136.

(Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, selected and arranged by
John A. Widtsoe [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1954], 398.)