On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:28:22 -0700, "Tom Matkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> Since Scott's motorcycle ownership has been given such a thorough review
> here, what does the list have to say about a stake president owning and
> using a motorcycle.

Tom,  Considering the intense discussion of my motorcycle, my stairs, and
my butt, I may not be considered the best source to listen to, but I fail
to see the problem. Would you be just as much influence with these same
teenagers if you bought a truck or a sports car? The Church is made for
man, not man for the Church. You don't really need to alter everything
about your life for fear of giving someone a wrong impression.

Yes, it is very appropriate to consider the impact of your actions in
many circumstances. What would someone thing if they saw you chugging
away on a bottle of IBC root beer if they didn't know and weren't close
enough to read the label. Probably that you were drinking a beer. Does
that mean, however, thay you shouldn't ever drink anything in a brown
bottle? No! You might want to be a bit more circumspect in public
settings, or alternately you might want to make a big deal about it so
that anyone likely to see you will KNOW that it is root beer.

With your motorcycle, however, someone seeing you riding will NOT assume
that you are breaking some commandment. You could, however, if still
concerned take a similar approach to the alternate above. You can be very
public and up-front about your motorcycle and why you feel it is a good
thing. This also allows you to provide saftey info to admiring teens.

Personally, I don't think you should worry about it. If you do anyway,
then either try the above aproach or quite riding to releive your own
worry (but not because of what other's think!)

> But most importantly of all, considering the demonstrated danger, should
> I also avoid the use of stairs?

Well, if you are considering my example, then yes you should avoid stairs
at three am in the middle of a tornado warning in the rain just after
having been given a motorcycle. Otherwise, I expect that they are fairly
safe.

Scott
--
Buttered bread always lands butter side * Would YOU mistake these as
down (Unless it sticks to the ceiling!) * anyone`s opinions but my own?

--
http://fastmail.fm - Sent 0.000002 seconds ago