George Cobabe wrote:
Some thoughts about the temple questions.  I asked the question on another
list I participate in and got the following.

I don't know what other list you got your answers from, George. But it seems clear to me from the following that Joseph Fielding Smith did NOT misunderstand what Joseph Smith said about the restoration of animal sacrifice.

---
Ehat & Cook, Words of Joseph Smith, OM: 5 October 1840 (Monday Morning), p.43–p.44
It is a very prevalent opinion that in the sacrifices of sacrifices which were offered were entirely consumed, this was not the case if you read Leviticus [2] Chap [2-3] verses you will observe that the priests took a part as a memorial and offered it up before the Lord, while the remainder was kept for the benefit maintenance of the priests. 26 So that the offerings and sacrifices are not all consumed upon the Alter, but the blood is sprinkled and the fat and certain other portions are consumed These sacrifices as well as every ordinance belonging to the priesthood will when the temple of the Lord shall be built and the Sons Levi be purified be fully restored and attended to then all their powers ramifications ramifications and blessings—this the Sons of Levi shall be purified. ever was and will exist when the powers of the Melchisid Priesthood are sufficiently manifest. 27 Else how can the restitution of all things [p.44] spoken of by all the Holy Prophets be brought to pass be brought to pass 28 It is not to be understood that, the law of moses will be established again with all it rights and variety of ceremonies, ceremonies, this had never been spoken off by the prophets but those things which existed prior Mose's day viz Sacrifice will be continued 29—It may be asked by some what necessity for Sacrifice since the great Sacrifice was offered? In answer to which if Repentance Baptism and faith were necessary to Salvation existed prior to the days of Christ what necessity for them since that time 30—
---

From this is clear to me that animal sacrifice will be restored in this dispensation as part of the restoration of all things. At least that is what Joseph Smith and Joseph Fielding Smith taught.