George Cobabe wrote:
In my opinion, there are many Latter-day Saints who do not understand how
unloving and even cruel it is to teach false doctrine.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]

John, it is equally cruel to teach that the only true doctrine is the one and the way you understand it.

I disagree. It is not equally true IF my understanding of doctrine is correct.

There are very few, I mean very few, beleifs that are truly doctine.

I disagree again. There are MANY irrefutably true doctrines:

1) There is a God.
2) Jesus Christ is his Son.
3) Joseph Smith is a true prophet.
4) The Book of Mormon is the Word of God.
5) The Bible is the Word of God insofar as it is translated correctly.
6) Jesus Christ is the Redeemer of the World.
7) Gordon B. Hinckley is a true prophet just as Joseph Smith or Moses were.
8) A man cannot be saved without faith in Christ, repentance and baptism.
9) There are three kingdoms of glory.
10)  There is a universal resurrection.
11)  The Law of Tithing is God's Law.
12)  The Law of Chastity is God's Law.

and so forth and so on.

Even many of the beliefs accepted by the majority of the members are not true.

This is true, but it is also irrelevent.

It is unwise to set up a standard built on the understanding of anything but the reveleation of the truth, and much of that is not to be shared as absolute doctrine by the individual who has received it.

I know that you think I am unwise George. Fortunately, I only need to impress Heavenly Father with my wisdom.

Simply stating the belief or quoting someone else that also believes that
way does not establish the truth of the doctrine.

Of course. This is so obvious that I'm surprised that you would think it needs saying.

An understanding of true doctrine is ESSENTIAL to salvation. Without it, no one would ever have faith in Christ or repent of his sins. And salvation is impossible without faith and repentance. That is not just personal opinion. That is the Law of God.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The study of the doctrines of the Gospel will improve
behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve
behavior." --Boyd K. Packer