.>
> I always thought it was "twice and you're out" -- that is, you can
> repent of adultery once, but not twice.  I suppose this is based on D&C
> 42:25-26: "But he that has committed adultery and repents with all his
> heart, and forsaketh it, and doeth it no more, thou shalt forgive; But
> if he doeth it again, he shall not be forgiven, but shall be cast out."
>.
I have had occasion to consider this scripture,  and interpret it quite
differently.  It teaches an important principle, but not the one proposed
here, IMHO. It does NOT read: But he that has committed adultery ONCE and
repents with all his heart, and forsaketh it, and doeth it no more, thou
shalt forgive; But if he doeth it TWICE, he shall not be forgiven, but shall
be cast out."  You have to read it that way to get the result that a person
can only be forgiven once for adultery. (And even then it has a tortured
logic, because how can the first repentance be acceptable if the specific
conditions have, by definition, not been met? But more about that later).
In my personal opinion this scripture is teaching the rather obvious
principle that if the person goes back into this sort of serious sinful
behavior that person did not truly repent of the first instance. Notice the
"forsaketh it, and doeth it no more" condition on the first repentance. The
second or subsequent adultery makes a mockery of that.  So in consideration
of forgiveness for subsequent adultery the earlier sinful behavior comes
into play. The person comes before the Lord (and any appropriate
disciplinary council represent the Lord) with the whole burden of ALL
instances of adultery (or any other serious sin) when dealing with that
subsequent sin, because the first or prior instances were not truly
forgiven, nor could they be, because the conditions of the first repentance
were not met.  This is how I have understood and taught this scripture in a
number of very real disciplinary situations including those where I was
warning an offender about the consequences of falling back into
transgression.

I am not conversant with any actual numerical melt down on the possibility
of repentance from adultery.

Tom