-----Original Message-----
From: RB Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 4:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ZION] Trial by Media

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Tom Matkin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 11:42 PM
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [ZION] Trial by Media
>

>RB Scott wrote:
>

>>You mean, sort of like the OJ trial?
>>
>>Ron
>>

>Which trial?
>
>Tom

The criminal trial

Can't compare that with Martha's trial.  Most of us saw almost every
minute of it, sometimes several times. True we had endless "spin"
commentaries trying to sort it out for us, but we saw the evidence.  I
also believe that the jury practiced "jury nullification". In effect,
they knew full well that OJ was guilty, but they chose to nullify the
prosecution for other reasons. Either they accepted the "race card" as a
trump to the actual evidence, or they nullified because they believed
the LAPD was unworthy of the conviction. Probably a combination of those
two reasons. How do you compare the OJ trial with Martha's trial?  It
seems to me that Martha had no defense and therefore put up no defense.
She relied on her reputation and a parade of celebrity supporters
sitting behind her in the courtroom to influence the jury.  The jury
didn't buy it.  It is also my understanding that had she admitted doing
what she obviously did - dumping shares on an inside tip - she could
have taken the high road by admitting her hasty ill advised action and
been fined and gone on with her life.  Instead she falsified her
records, lied to the investigators, and asked others to lie for her, the
latter being the most despicable of things. Of course, I have to state
my prejudice here.  I feel like her whole "branding" thing is big lie.
She comes off as this great expert that knows everything and about
everything and that can manipulate anything into anything.  She came to
believe her own fabrication and it rose up and bit her - in the end - so
to speak.

Tom