On Mar 3, 2006, at 8:08 AM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:03:48PM -0500, Chris McDonough wrote:
| I'm taking a stab at packaging the various pieces of ZODB as eggs.
| One of the things I'd like to do is to separate the packages of ZODB
| that are currently shipped together (BTrees, ZODB/ZEO, persistent
| transaction, ZConfig) into separate packages, because each may
| arguably be useful outside of what we call "ZODB" now.
|
| One of the issues I've run into is that there are compile-time
| dependencies between packages mainly due to C header files. For
| example, the BTrees package assumes that it will be able to find the
| cPersistence.h file, which currently ships with the "persistent"
| package.  I wonder if I should bother breaking the persistent and
| BTrees packages apart as separate eggs.  I suspect not.

Can't you make them separate eggs that depend on the other?

Well, yes. I've already done that. But it's a hack. The runtime dependencies aren't a problem, it's the build-time dependencies. I don't know of a way to say "use this header file from this egg to build this other egg" in an egg setup script.

- C