Pierre Klovsjo wrote:

Greetings people,

I was wondering if anyone here have some experience with mpxio and a storage array from a non-global zone?
Today we are using Veritas for doing all kinds of magic with both disks and the
array but with the arrival of ZFS, Zones etc we are now looking into the
possibilities of migrating a few servers into a 'bigger' server with ZFS and
Zones.

If you can get away with it sparse root is most definitely better.
1 Less maintenance overhead ( shared filesystems between global and non-global zones )
2 Less disk space consumed.
3 Lower memory useage, as the shared libraries are on shared file system, they are only loaded once in memory for both global and non-global zones. ( if you have a local copy of /usr/lib then all the shared libs in /usr/lib taht you reference, will have to get loaded into memory for the zone as well ) 4 Tools such as patchadd/pkgadd etc all run slightly faster, ( not having to install objects to filesystems that are shared )

In saying that, the answer kinda depends on what you are doing with the non-global zones, if you are installing software that has to write to /usr for instance then you are limited to having /usr writable at a minimum.

But if at all possible go with sparse-root zones.

Enda

What is the best way of installing a Zone? By sharing file systems as in 'sparse-root' model or use 'whole-root' model ? As i understand things. Solaris 10 has mpxio sort of 'on' by default. Is this only for the Global Zone itself or can i 'disable' this and use it only for let's say 2 non-global zones? What i need to accomplish/be sure of is, 1, Load balancing 2, Failover by using 2 paths to the array from 2 configured Zones.
3, ......

Regards,

Pierre

  • [zones-discus... Pierre Klovsjo
    • [zones-d... Doug Scott
    • Re: [zon... Enda o'Connor - Sun Microsystems Ireland - Software Engineer
      • [zon... Pierre Klovsjo
        • ... Doug Scott
          • ... Christine Tran
            • ... Doug Scott