On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 07:09:59PM -0600, Gael wrote:
> On 1/24/07, stephen lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I can make some general suggestions on how to avoid duplicate backups, but
> >I'm not very familiar with TSM, or your specific backup requirements.
> >
> >Does the TSM backup client run in the global zone, the non-global zones,
> >or both?
>

> Only in the global zone. I did test it in the zones and it seems to run
> well, was wondering if I should in fact
> use the global tsm scheduler and run dsmc i within each zones thru the pre
> or postschedulecmd options.
> That would allow the end users to be able to access tsm thru the "old" way
> in each zone. Of course this is not
> officially supported by IBM at this time, which is one of the reasons I'm
> reluctant to do it... you cannot mess with backups...

I think they support non-global-zones on sparc TSM backup/archive client
V5.3.3.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsmreadme.doc/UNX/SOL/README_enu.htm

> The other case encountered are databases (oracle rman, sybase and else)
> which rely on a backup client binary to be available
> to run their backups...

Databases are an interesting case.  The databases backup their data directly
to a local backup client.  Does this mean that you have to be careful to
avoid backing up the database "again" via a filesystem backup, or does the
data live on a raw device instead of a filesystem?

> >In general I would suggest NOT backing up any lofs mounts.  For instance,
> >if you want to backup
> >"Everything", on the system, backup all mountpoints of fstypes that you
> >are interested in, from
> >the global zone.
>

> Point well taken here. Guess that would mean that backups shouldn't run
> from
> within a zone on a 100% lofs based zone right ?

Right.