Oh.  I though that pidentd was supposed to resolve UIDs locally.
That's one of the features of the protocol; it provides "here's who
*I* think the user is" information back to the requester.

Of course, that's why I thought IDENT was a fairly bogus mechanism
since you're asking the remote system to report on its own users and
someone who controls that machine can report whatever their heart
desires.

Or has the mechanism changed over the years?  Has there been any work
in the IETF, for example, to try and develop something more useful than
identd?

dsc