My guess is that your zones lack /var/ruby.*

Did you install ruby+friends in the global zone using packages, from
a tar file, or from source compilation?  A package install from the global
zone should install the package contents into all zones, properly handling
/usr verses /var.

If your means of installation insists on writing to /usr/ruby, they you
could create a writeable /usr/ruby filesystem (using zonecfg add fs) so
that you can install ruby into every zone.  Adding a lofs filesystem, that
maps to a directory in the global zone, is straightfoward.

-Steve L.