Steve Lawrence wrote:
> I assume you are targeting this change for s10.

Yes.

> The single-user milestone is intended to mimic the traditional unix
> run-level 1 (S?)

Nit:  Run level 1 is slightly different from S.

> This is typically where an admin would run stuff like
> fsck (on filesystems that are not yet mounted).

It is also where we tell people to install many patches that touch key
parts of the system.  Zones and patching collided to break that use
case, by making it (potentially) necessary to mount secondary file
systems in order to apply patches.

> I don't think it is ok
> to change this behavior in a patch.

Something's got to give.

> I'm not sure I understand all the details of the problem you are trying
> to solve.  For example, I thought it was desired that the "patch service"
> run during a boot to "all", but then I saw following mail stating that
> the "patch service" should not run in this case, and something about the
> user explicitly booting to single user.  I don't think I know what the
> use cases are.

There's been a lot of variations flying around and it's tough to keep
them all straight.

One key incorrect assumption that we (the patch automation teams) had
been making was that we could "catch" system startup at the right point
and do our work, as was possible in pre-SMF systems.  That would suggest
having a patch service that ran on the way to "all".  However, on an SMF
system that's not a valid assumption:  if the target is "all", services
might be started at any point, including before milestone/single-user,
if their dependencies are met.

It now appears clear that we must limit the system to some appropriate
milestone, to limit the services that are started.

> You may want to draft a brief ARC fastrack describing the desired behavior(s),
> and the issues, and perhaps proposed solutions.  Getting it all on one page
> will facilitate a solution.

I agree that an ARC case is needed, if only to formally record the
agreed-upon solution.  However, since we don't yet have a complete
solution to propose, I think it's premature at the moment.

Getting it all on one page would, I agree, be helpful.

(Is there an externally-visible wiki where such a writeup could be
posted and maintained?)

---

The list of use cases is really pretty simple:

1)  Administrator has in hand a patch that says "install in single user
mode".  What does this administrator do?  The answer seems self-evident:
  take the system to single-user mode (either by booting the system in
single-user mode using boot -s or boot -m milestone/single-user, or
dropping the system to single-user mode using "init s" or "svcadm
milestone milestone/single-user") and install the patch using patchadd.

2)  An automated tool has in hand a patch that says "install in single
user mode".  What does it do?

It is when we start to look at solutions that the problem becomes more
difficult.