Mike,

Mike Gerdts wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Glenn Brunette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jeff,
>>
>> This actually hits on a similar request that I have (but for different
>> reasons).  I would like a stable interface from which I could tell
>> the update revision of a system.
>
> This seems to be another case for feature-based meta packages.
>
> http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/2008/03/solaris-wish-list-feature-based-meta.html
>
> I describe it for the simplicity of installing software, but with a
> bit of thought it could be possible to extend it to this use as well.

Very similiar indeed.  While this may work with the "big" items that
qualify as features, I am not sure if this would be stretching the
metaphor a bit for smaller components, but you and I are definitely
thinking in a similar vein.

>> In a past life working on JASS, we were told to not test for patch or
>> update levels but rather to test whether a specific feature is present,
>> and while I understand the merits of this methodology, it does not
>> always provide a complete solution (without making significant
>> assumptions about how the system was installed/maintained).  For
>
> As a very heavy user of JASS, this methodology is appreciated.  It has
> made the software continue to be quite useful long after Sun stopped
> providing updates.  (Any news on open sourcing it?)

Thank you!  As far as news on JASS, all that I can say for now is
stay tuned.  There is a lot of discussion happening on this front
these days, and I hope we will have some news to share soon.