On 07/29/09 02:47, Jack LING wrote:
by default, the network configuration of the global zone is set to auto-detect.
I think this should be dhcp?

Reading Solaris System Administration documentations, hostname.interface
file(s) under the /etc/inet directory is used for setting static ip address of
interface(s). I don't know whether OpenSolaris is using the same model? Does it
actually store network settings somewhere when I manually adjust the network
settings at the icon shown on the tray?

Since the configuration details are from dhcp, I don't know where to put/modify
in settings like dns server (after the initial network settings for the 1st
time login) to the non-global zone.  Which command I can use to know the dns
settings in the global zone?
thanks,
jackling

If using shared-IP, you can't use DHCP in a non-global zone. You will have to configure it manually, via an /etc/sysidcfg file on initial boot, or as Jordan said, answering questions during initial boot after logging into the zone's console using 'zlogin -C <zone name>'.

You will have to enter things such as your DNS server (if you want to).

If you are using exclusive IP, the /etc/sysidcfg file can have all the network information, or you again do it via the prompts on boot.

For a DHCP version of the sysidcfg file, see http://blogs.sun.com/stw/entry/crossbow_is_delivered_traveling_vnics

Below are sample sysidcfg files I have lying around. I don't set up DNS. See 'man sysidcfg' to get examples of that.

Steffen

NOTE: the root_password fields have been modified

# cat shared17.sysidcfg
terminal=xterm
system_locale=C
network_interface=primary {