I've tracked down the cause. It was my backup copy of the zone ZFS tree on another pool:

backup/zoneRoot                     1.64G  89.3G    26K  /backup/zoneRoot
backup/zoneRoot/svn 439M 89.3G 24K /backup/zoneRoot/svn
backup/zoneRoot/svn/ROOT             439M  89.3G    21K  legacy
backup/zoneRoot/svn/ROOT/zbe         439M  89.3G   437M  legacy

Even though the mountpoints and ZFS names differ, their presence appears to have been causing confusion. When I export the backup pool, all boots and creates work.

So my problem is solved, but there appears to be an issue with keeping backup copies on the same machine.

--
Ian.