Hmm, on second thought.... ;-)

In looking into this a bit more (for example avro
http://www.mail-archive.com/avro-...@hadoop.apache.org/msg03603.html and
http://www.mail-archive.com/avro-...@hadoop.apache.org/msg03688.html) we
should also call an official vote on this. All the better if we can put
together a proposal similar to what Doug has done in the provided "vote"
link. We'll need to provide this to the PMC & Board anyway, so we should get
our cards in order. A couple issues I notice from the links (please read
them):

1) site: we'll be moving from hadoop.apache.org to zookeeper.apache.org

2) initial PMC members, notice doug says:

"I suggest that initial Avro PMC consist of all active Avro committers at
the time we make the formal proposal. This is typical for new TLPs.
(Subsequently PMCs tend to promote committers to the PMC. The Hadoop PMC
generally promotes committers to the PMC after a year of consistent
activity, while some projects immediately add new committers to their PMC.
But we don't need to decide our policy for new PMC membership now, only the
makeup of the initial PMC.)"

I suggest that we make our current committers PMC members similar to this.

3) on a zookeeper chair, again from avro:

"I nominate myself as the initial chair of the Avro PMC, with the proviso
that we adopt a policy of regular chair replacement. I suggest that Avro PMC
chairs serve a one or two-year term. A PMC chair has no morepower than other
PMC members, but rather has a few more duties. In particular, the chair must
submit written quarterly reports to the board describing the health of the
projects developer community. The chair also maintains subversion
permissions and committer account creation."

I nominate myself as the initial chair. I also like this idea of regular
chair replacement for a number of reasons.

What do you folks think? Should I put this into a draft proposal and call an
official vote on our zookeeper-dev list?

Patrick